Last Day of June
Game and Level Designer
- Game Designer
- Wrote the story with Lead Designer and Creative Director.
- Technical writing for various documentation.
- Various copywriting such as Achievements and their implentation, including translation.
- Worked with Lead Animator to create storyboards.
- Directed voice actors to get desired emotional impact.
- Prototyped mechanics and stories in and out of engine.
- Implemetation of design and story using in-house tools.
- Playtesting, QA and Bug hunting/fixing.
- Level Designer
- Created various level blockouts for the game.
- Tweaked camera and character controllers for better feel.
- Modified existing level structure to tweak gameplay and puzzles and accomodate various changes.
- Worked with Lead Artist to ensure changes in environment are both beautiful and do not conflict with Design.
- Worked on early collision passes.
- Voice Actor
- Voiced the protagonist, Carl.
What I learned
I worked from June 2016 to June 2017 as a contractor for Ovosonico in Varese, Italy to help complete the game with the Lead Designer, Mattia Traverso. In the small team, I learned from top to tail the details of shipping a console title.
In the beginning, my work was focused on story and technical writing. Using various software such as yEd and Twine, I prototyped and tested out various mechanics that tell the story to help the Lead Designer and Creative Director understand the options and pick a direction.
Later, I worked in-engine for the level design and general design implementation. I worked to clarify and simplify an existing bloated system for doors, unifying it into a single language for the players. I was in close collaboration with the artists to ensure that the design was portrayed properly.
I was initially set to only voice the character temporarily, but after a successful first session, the creative director chose to continue having me voice the protagonist.
By the end, I was primarily focused on QA and bug hunting/fixing. However, I was still taking charge of various design tasks such as the copywriting and full implementation of Achievements.